Bridges Continues to Serve During Coronavirus
Bridges is on the streets continuing to serve people experiencing homelessness — those who have nowhere to go to self-isolate, and have increased risk to contract and spread COVID-19. It’s important we work together to serve the susceptible and halt the spread of this virus.
What Bridges Is Doing
- Protecting our teams – gloves and masks for those in direct contact with clients. We have created new setups on the Runs with more tables and are holding off on soup distribution.
- Increased outreach – Bridges is now doing outreach 7 days a week in Newark, checking on people experiencing homelessness who are living on the streets or in shelters.
- Continuing our Runs – we continue our Runs to Newark and Irvington. We are working with the City of Newark Health Department and their street outreach seven days a week to ensure all unsheltered residents are connected with, sheltered, and directed to services. We have returned to Manhattan on Wednesday and Friday nights (April 2021).
- Continuing to serve our neighbors in need each Friday at our Summit office. We just reopened the Summit office for showers and services on Wednesday and Fridays, 9-12.
- Partnering with the Department of Health & Community Wellness, as well as Newark’s Commission on Homelessness, in planning and preparedness.
With a 100% drop in volunteers for much of 2020 (which was the right thing to do!), we had limited incoming supplies of lunches and toiletry kits. With a slow increase of volunteers and a year of Covid behind us, we are excited to still be doing the work and still need supply help! We remain committed to helping our neighbors in Summit, Irvington, Newark, and Manhattan. We are still creative with our food supply– partnering with vendors, encouraging restaurants to share– and we will keep that as long as it takes.
Please help us fund this effort.
How you can help the most vulnerable in our community
- Make a financial donation to Bridges today. A recurring monthly gift will have the most impact.
- Purchase an item from our Amazon Wish list. If an item is not available due to demand, please email email@example.com to purchase through Bridges.
- Donate Toiletries, Fresh or Shelf Stable Lunches and Clothing. Curb-side donation drop-off is available at our Summit office on Monday through Thursday from 9:00am – 2:00pm. Please call ahead at 908-273-0176.
We have no plans to cease operations. This is when we are needed most.
Please keep checking back with us as needs change and the situation progresses.
Thank you for your continued support!
Bridges in the News
NorthJersey.com, May 9, 2020
As Newark Penn begins overnight closures, homeless get a fresh start to escape pandemic
Patch.com, May 7, 2020
Summit Homeless Organization helped by Millburn Girl Scout
NBC4NY, May 5, 2020
Sarah Wallace highlights Bridges Outreach efforts
Pix11.com, April 24, 2020
Coronavirus propels nonprofit toward goal of ending homelessness in Newark
Patch.com, April 23, 2020
Coronavirus Can’t Stop Nonprofit’s Homeless Outreach In Newark
ABC7NY.com, April 21, 2020
Coronavirus News: Nonprofit battles homelessness in Newark during the COVID-19 crisis
VillageGreenNJ.com, April 21, 2020
Helping the Homeless in Summit, Newark & Irvington Through COVID-19 Crisis
NJ.com, April 16, 2020
How to volunteer and donate in New Jersey during the coronavirus outbreak
TapInto.net, April 16, 2020
Bridges Outreach Hosts ‘Virtual Town Hall’ Meeting Apr. 17
TapInto.net, April 7, 2020
Letter to Editor: Bridges Outreach Needs Us More than Ever
NJ.com, March 27, 2020
Coronavirus heroes work the streets to save lives … while risking their own
WBGO.org, March 25, 2020
Bridges is Continuing to Serve Newark’s Homeless During Coronavirus Pandemic